Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gilbert Henry Stafford



My dear friend, Gilbert Stafford ("Henry? well, my father left me little else, so I figured I would take his name"), passed away in his sleep on January 1, 2010.

I often told him that he is one person that I was truly glad to have had come into my life. He teased me for my mental breakdowns in the office, and once caught me crying under my desk. "You have to stop alllll this cryinng!!!" He taught me many lessons during our car rides together, our lunch dates at Cafe Audrey, our cigarette breaks at work, and at cocktail gatherings in his gorgeous Downtown flat. He was the life of the party, knew how to throw fantastic queen fits, and gave compliments on an outfit or hairstyle that made you never want to change.

He was crowned the "Gatekeeper of the Night", a title he most certainly deserved. He worked the door of the hottest clubs in NYC, Miami, and at Playhouse in Hollywood, and did so with a regal attitude. Don't even get me started on his wardrobe!!!

Once when I was moving his things into his new apartment Downtown, a stranger walked by, stopped, and turned back..."Gilbert from Miami?! I saw you on TV there!"...but my favorite story of Gil's fame happened at ChinChin on Sunset Blvd for Alex Orlovsky's birthday lunch. A semi-crazy homeless man was skipping down the street, banging on all of the street signs and shouting to himself. As he passed our outdoor table at ChinChin, he stopped, looked Gil in the eyes, and out came a phrase in a calm voice, "Gilbert from Miami, right?" and with a nod from Gil, the man continued on skipping and shouting down the route. WHATTT?!?! How did he know you and what is he doing in LA? Loved it.

Gil will be missed, but I know his party has just begun. He will forever be sporting the most fabulous attire, intricately stitched socks, waving his arms to Mozart with a camel unfiltered in one hand, and goose or jameson on the rocks in the other. I love you Gil, and will see you again when it is time...perhaps a rendez-vous in Paris? Say hi to Franky boy for me, and I promise to stop allll thiss cryinggg <3

No comments:

Post a Comment